*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2082493-That-Winters-Night
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Teen · #2082493
A Short Story
         I took in the landscape that surrounded me as I watch the snow falling from the sky above. It swirled in the wind as it fell, landing on the bare branches of the trees around me. I began to walk along a wooded path leading further into the forest and I shivered as the wind blew through me. The only sounds this lonely night are my boot compacting the snow beneath my feet, the crunching sound of ice is all you could hear as it echoed through the woods. While walking, I began to wonder why I was here in the middle of the night, why was I walking along this path this winter's night?
         The night was calm and peaceful, nothing stirred as I walked along this path. The snow began to accumulate on the shoulders of my jacket, but I simply brushed it off and continued to walk along the path ahead. Again I found, myself wondering why I was walking along this path on a winter night. Maybe I am heading to a destination of some sort, or maybe I walking to get away for things I wish not to solve. Away from problems that I would inevitably face. The question still loomed in my thoughts as the I looked around me at the unrecognizable trees. In the sky there were no moon or stars; just the snow falling from the clouds high above. Above the forest’s canopy, the mountains rose. Their peaks were white with snow. Nothing moved, nor made a sound. It was calm this winter’s night.
         The night was cold, a warm fire sounds lovely on this night. I looked around me and found nothing of the sort. Why was I even kidding myself, there was not going to be a fire already burning for me in the middle of the forest. Suddenly, I stopped as I heard the trickling of water in the distance. Turning in the direction of the sound I headed towards it. When I arrived at the source I found a small creek not yet frozen over in the chill air. A thin layer of ice covered the banks of the creek as the middle remind liquid as the water rushed along it. The creek headed further into the woods and I began walked alongside it. I thought to myself how I would love to bring someone here to show the beauty I see. I knew who I would take, it would be a girl who I have been hanging out with lately. She would love to see this, I thought to myself. I like her, but I have not had the courage to tell her yet. I am afraid of what she would think of me if I told her. I am afraid of what are friendship will become if she does not feel the same way. Maybe I am walking to get away, away from telling her how I feel. Maybe that is why I am walking on this winter’s night.
         Ahead the path split one way seemed to go further in the forest. The other to a clearing with a single lamp post and a bench. The light reflected off the snow around it. One way was easy, and I knew what would happen if I went this way. I could sit there and let the world go around me. Not having to worry about anything. I could walk away, but what could be further along the path that went further in the forest. What path should I choose?
         I began to walk as the snow started to dwindle. I walked further into the forest to see what lay ahead. There was no turning back, I have to keep walking where it will lead me I could not tell. Making the choice now, I now know why I am walking on this winter’s night. I am walking to a destination; I have a clear path to where I am heading. All I have to do is follow it and not turn back.
In the distance, I see smoke rising from a log cabin nestled in the forest. The roof began to reflect the moonlight that poured out of the clouds. The cabin itself was small and nothing too spectacular. In the background, I could see the mountain more clearly. It truly was an impressive sight. Looking back at the cabin and the smoke coming from the chimney. A warm fire I thought to myself again, I could already feel the warmth radiating from it. Taking a deep breath, I walk up to the door and knock.
© Copyright 2016 jungurait8 (jungurait8 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2082493-That-Winters-Night