*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2072124-Rivals
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #2072124
An old enmity
         Usually the Wolverine would be eager to take down its formidable enemy the cobra. Interestingly enough there is an obvious enmity between the two. This particular gang of Wolverine was composed of strong, aggressive Cobra killers. Except for the Daughter of the gang's former patriarch, a young Angeline, who will be referred to as Delilah. Delilah was the youngest of three. She had two older brothers. Their names were Cire and Rereg. As the eldest, Cire was the first in line to take his father's place when he passed away. Cire Despised the Cobra with a burning passion, but there was a quiver that he hated in particular.
         The Royal Ophio Family were the strongest and more importantly the richest cobra family in this desert region. Did you think we were talking about animals, you’d be fifty percent correct if you did. You see a long time ago there were animals, humans, and those who weren’t quite either. They were the Animalibus, also known as animal men. Before the second great Bellum, the human race and the animalibus lived in harmony. It was a peaceful time until humans felt envy towards the Animalibus, for they had a human intellect and the special traits like their respective Animal counterparts. The Animalibus usually lived a nomadic lifestyle, but this was not true in the case of the Ophio Royal family. They were a strong resilient snake people, the Quiver of Cobras was the biggest rival to Ciro’s family the Gulo gang.
         Every year the Ophio and Gulo would select a to warrior to do battle. This would determine who would control the Animalibus army that held humans off the reservations. It was her father's dying wish that Delilah would become the Gulo family champion for the competition, and it was the day of the competition. She was standing outside of the Arena’s entrance. Delilah was short, with delicate brown hair, small brown eyes, and had a longish tail. She was wearing the traditional armor of the Gulo, mostly fur covered armor and was equipped with a broad sword in her left hand. She who at this point was nervous and alone. So nervous in fact that when she was sure nobody was around, vacated the premises.
         She found her way into the heart of the forest, the home of the Gulo people. There a large tree stood She sat against is, contemplating if she made the right choice. “Should I go back?” Delilah said out loud not realizing it. “Why not Ciro, or Rereg, they are much better fighters than me” she continued to speak out loud. She started to tear up and buried her face in her lap.
         “Oh no, don’t cry, there is no reason for such a thing like that” A calm voice said quietly. Delilah looked up, tears rolling down her cheeks. “Who said that”? Delilah asked. “I am the great and powerful tree spirit,” Said the voice in a now deeper voice. “ AHHH…..” She screamed jumping off the roots of the tree. “ I am so sorry great tree spirit” Delilah quickly said bowing to the tree multiple times. “Nah, don’t be sorry. What's been bothering you my Child” it said maintaining the deep voice. “Oh, well I am supposed to fight against someone I have never met before and I am worried” She explained. “Ah I see,” the tree spirit thought. “Why do you feel worried”? it asked her. “I guess you could say it feels wrong, to try to hurt someone who has never hurt you” Delilah explained. “I strongly agree” the calmness to its voice returned.
         Immediately an arrow brushed past Delilah’s short brown hair. Delilah screamed but couldn’t move. A volley of arrows was quickly coming down on the Gulo’s home. The true voice acting as the tree spirit quickly swung his giant serpentine tail around the tree wrapping it around Delilah’s torso gently. “Oh my, you're not the tree spirit” She yelled. “Really captain obvious, I hadn’t noticed,” he said with wit. It was the one and only, crown prince of the Ophio royal family, Vincent Ophio.
He was wearing the robe of a peasant human and an old woven straw hat. Vincent Quickly pulled Delilah away from the arrows and quickly dragged his scaly body across the dirt into the uninhabited woods making sure to hold Delilah up. They got at least twenty meters away from the dangerous Gulo village when Vince crashed into a tree from the exhaust and speeding up too fast.
         Delilah fell to the ground, her face was scratched and then the right side of her body got slightly bruised but Vincent took the brunt of the damage. Arrows impaled his back and his tail. Delilah stood up, she was dizzy but quickly noticed Vincent lying on the ground. She screamed as she saw the blood being drained from his body. “Oh my, what do I do, what do I do”? She asked herself worryingly. “Calm down,” He said softly yet commandingly.
         Human Troops arrived at the scene. “By his decree of his royal highness King Guillermo the third, all Animalibus will be detained for analysis purposes” their commanding officer proclaimed. “ I am counting on you warrior wolverine,” Vincent said to Delilah weakly as his eyes slowly shut. The troops approached. “AHHHHHH…,” Delilah screamed. “What do I do,” She thought nervously. “Capture the Serpentine type Animalibus first!” the commanding officer proclaimed. Three soldiers grabbed Vincent's tail when a surge of courage took over Delilah.
         “Don’t you dare touch him” She screamed swinging her sword, and slicing the soldiers fingers. “ My fingers” a soldier screamed. “Boys stand aside,” the Commanding officer said. They did as he said and he pulled out his sword. Delilah realized who she was fighting. His name was Charles Lennox the trump card for the northern allied nations. He was a master sword fighter and General. “So you're the only daughter of the Great Roberto Gulo, Delilah,” He said viciously. “Yes, I am what of it”? she questioned swinging the sword. He dodged the swing and promptly tripped her.
“Well my dear, he was my favorite rival,” he said sadistically holding the tip off his sword to her chin. Enraged Delilah pushed the blade away from her chin with her own, and quickly engaged in a matching of blades. The general pushed her into the tree, toppling over Vincent. “Maybe if I…” he attempted to bring the blade on Vincent’s tail, Delilah without hesitation thrust her body over the tail taking the blow. “Why, he’s your rival”? he said angrily. “Just because our families are, doesn't mean we are,” She said starting to stand up. “But the truth is even if he was my rival, he is still very much like me” and with those words, she charged the general with the last of her strength. Delilah and the General fell to the ground.
         The following morning Delilah woke up in here brothers home next to her was Vincent resting. “Our families have postponed the fight,” Vincent said in a whisper. Vincent’s sister came into the room. She was the current matriarch of her family. Her name was Anear, she was strict, long, and Scaly. “You two quiet down and get your rest,” She said snapping at them. Vincent smiled at Delilah in spite of what she said, Delilah smiled back blushing. They would both be needing rest, for a new war had been ignited, and it was only a matter of days before the humans would descend.
© Copyright 2016 Wynonna Lincoln (pattiewack8 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2072124-Rivals