*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2038731-Captain-Griffon
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #2038731
Valerie Griffon makes a painful sacrifice as she faces off against a notorious pirate.
Under the twilight sky, in the vast, coastal port city of Myalune, five pairs of boots pounded the cobblestone street in unison like the beat of war drums. The city guard had been notified that a notorious pirate had been spotted at one of the city's nastiest pubs, and Guard Captain Valerie Griffon wasn't about to let this opportunity slip through her grasp.

Lamps lined the streets, casting shadows which danced along the roads. A rat zipped along followed by a vocal, mangy cat. The neighborhood was unusually quiet, and the humid air seemed to get thicker as the five guards moved deeper into the shady district. Soon the silence broke, the sounds of raised voices became clearer as the derelict pub came into view. The establishment’s sign, which hung crooked on one hinge, read “The Bloated Corpse.”

Once out front, Captain Griffon turned to her men, gave them a reassuring nod, a sly smile, and then kicked the door in. The thunderous crack immediately silenced the establishment.

The seemingly endless rows of faces were either in shock or awe; it was difficult to see exactly which expression in the dim lighting. Most men were intimidated by her even without the theatrical entry. The red haired captain hailed from the frozen top of the world, where among the hardy villagers, a six foot woman was considered petite.

The place was packed with individuals of ill repute one would expect slither through its doors, though only one of them was worth Griffon’s time at such a late hour.

"Which one of you moist, steamy turds is Captain Manual Alcazar?" Griffon announced to the room.

A brutish looking man with a dumbfounded expression, or perhaps just dumb, stood up and faced Griffon. "And just who the hell are you?"

"I'm Captain Griffon of the city guard and I'm here to detain Manual Alcazar." Griffon retained her clear and firm tone.

"On what grounds?”

Griffon crossed her arms, drew a deep breath, and began. "Stealing from an affluent merchant, vandalizing the castle, abducting children, sex trafficking, rape, murder, assaulting a guard captain who just happened to be my late uncle." She caught her breath. " There's more but I don't wish to be here all night."

"You need to shut your pretty mouth, girly!" The man suddenly charged at Griffon in a rather wavy line. She opened her hand and held it out slightly away from her side, subtly signaling her men to remain where they were. As soon as the drunk was upon her, Griffon took one step back on her right foot. As the man passed in front to her, she pushed him over her left foot which put him face first on the soiled floor.

Griffon stepped on the man's back and studied the sea of faces. "This one belongs to me. How many of your so called men do I need to take before your cowardly captain shows his face?"

Chairs scooted, tables flipped, and the about half of the men in the pub began to descend upon Griffon. She blinked which was only a stifled reaction to her surprise. She was outnumbered at least three to one. She knew her men were worth at least two of his, and considering how inebriated the opposing side looked as they stumbled forward, she was given the impression that it was going to be a fair fight. Captain Griffon drew her sword. Her men followed suit.

"Hold!" A roaring voice came from the back of the ranks.

A handsome well-dressed man parted the drunken mob with a flick of his wrist. As he approached Griffon, she was surprised at how clean cut and attractive he was. Gone was her notion of a scraggly bearded, wooden or hooked limbed pile of walking scar tissue and heinous body odor. What stood before her was a tall, dark haired man who was dressed respectively.

His roar turned silky smooth. “A woman, thinking she can be in the city guard, and a captain no less.” He studied her for a moment, all the while with a smile. “You are a rather large woman.” He said, looking down at her chest. I think the king has made a mistake, you should’ve been in his personal harem!” The men roared with laughter.

Only a few years ago, Griffon would have been overtaken by rage, but over time she has learned self control and to recognize an opportunity to allow someone to run their mouth as long as they like so they have even more words to eat later. "King Prian and what remained of his family are gone. We have a new King now, and although I abhor him as well, he’s a higher quality puddle of puke than his predecessor."

Manual shrugged. “Then why do you serve him?”

Griffon’s eyes narrowed. “I serve in my uncles memory, for my family's honor, and---" Griffon stifled a choke, trying her best to subdue her sorrow. "And for those lost who protected this city during the Dragon War." She composed herself, and once again the words flowed clear and strong.

Manual clapped. “That was lovely. Truly you’ve touched my heart.” His words drenched in sarcasm. “Give it up for Captain Griffon, boys!” His men stood silent, some scratched their heads while others looked outright uncomfortable, as if they had no idea what to do.

Manual slammed his fist on a table, launching mugs and plates to the floor. “I said clap for the woman!”

The men clapped nervously.

Griffon raised her voice. “If there’s anyone here who are not involved with him, I’d suggest you leave or find a good hiding place. She waited a moment while a few patrons took their leave. She then moved in to the pirate, close enough for a kiss. “Draw your sword.” She whispered.

“What?” He replied in whisper.

“Are you coming with me voluntarily?” She said just loud enough for him to hear.

“No.” He hissed.

“Then draw your damn sword!” Griffon shouted.

Captain Alcazar took a step back.

“Or are you too afraid that you might lose to a woman in front of all your drunken, snot-nosed boys.”

Griffon knew she hit a nerve when, in flash, the pirate’s sword was in his hand and coming at her. As she deflected the blow, her men sprang to action.

In between the roar of battle the two of them fought it out, dodging and parrying attacks, all the while Manual held his smile.

"Do you find something amusing?" Captain Griffon came at Manual with a double handed swipe. "you know I could kill you right?"

Manual pushed her back and returned the blow. "You wouldn't kill me. I can tell by the way you fight. On the other hand, I might kill you, but of course you knew that." His smile grew and he came at her with a flurry of blows.

He was right. Griffon was no murderer, besides, death would be too good for Alcazar. She wanted to see him rot in a cell. She was far from intimidated, no one who smiles that much in battle could be a killer, at least she had hoped. And so they fought on in what seemed like an even match until he backed away suddenly.

"Duck!" He said.

Valerie was mostly sure there wasn't going to be any type of a water fowl in the room, so she dropped to her knees and felt the breeze of a rum barrel, soaring over her head and smash against the wall behind her.

She looked at him, confused. Then gave him a signal to continue their duel. And so they did. This time she struck hard and fast, in hopes of wearing the pirate down before she was out of energy. It seemed to work. After a few blows he was on the defensive and she continued to push him back. Manual's smile was gone as he fought hard for his freedom. She pinned him against the wall, knocked his weapon out of his hand and put the point of her sword to his neck.

"You’re coming with me, Manual." Just saying that made her feel warm and fuzzy inside. She imagined how proud her uncle would be, if only he was still alive to witness the moment.

“Well, you win.” Manual shrugged.

What a stupid thing to say, of course she had won.

“However, that man of yours may need some help." He pointed behind her.

At first, Griffon didn't believe him. She didn’t want to believe him, but she had a nagging suspicion and most of the time, her mug was half empty. She hazard a turn and saw one of her men, pinned on a table, struggling to keep a sword away from one of his eyes.

Griffon turned back to the captain. There he was, ready to be taken in, all she had to do was put him in chains, but one of her men may end up dead. She looked at the man, barely holding on to life, then back to Manual, with his stupid smile back.

Sacrifices must be made.

Valerie sprinted to the attacker, grabbed the man by his shirt, then knee kicked him in the head.

The young guard trembled. “Thank you, Captain! That would’ve been the end of me if not for you.” His voice quaked.

Valerie’s gazed was locked on particular part of the room; the exact location that Manual once had been on his knees, right where she wanted him. A depressingly vacant spot.

She had to let him go. If not, she might as well call herself a murderer, even if it was second hand. She turned to the young guard, who was on the floor. “Get up, rookie.”

A second glance around the room and it appeared things were becoming quiet. Her other three men appeared mostly unharmed, tightening the binds of the handful of prisoners they captured. It seemed they’ve won the day, or night as it were.

“What happened to Captain Alcazar?” The green guardsman said.

Valerie stared across the room. “I had him, but the coward fled while I was saving your ass.”

“I-I’m sorry, Captain. If not for me we’d have him.”

Captain Griffon stood silent for a moment, then turned to the man and smiled. “He may have gotten away, but at least we humiliated him in front of all his men.” She gave the guard a hard pat on the back, nearly knocking him over. “He’ll turn up again, and when he does, he’s mine.”


© Copyright 2015 Gregory A. Williams (hermitcrab at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2038731-Captain-Griffon