*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1646271-Strain
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1646271
Lisa listened to the voice, barely an audible whisper, as she watched the man dying.
Strain

"It feels like a thousand knives stabbing ..." Lisa listened to the voice, barely an audible whisper, as she watched, with horror, the man utter his dying words on the video for the tenth time.

"What could have happened?" she asked the Director of Security for the Foundation. "I thought the laboratory was a Level 5 facility. There's no way any biohazard could have gotten loose."

Jackson Hollis shook his head. "Honestly, I don't know."

"Can you at least tell me what they were working on?"

"That's classified," he said as he pushed a file toward her.

She saw the "Top Secret – Restricted Access" stamp on the cover.

Jackson turned away as she opened it and began skimming the pages. "They were working on ..." but Jackson turned around, finger to lips. "... something for the government," Lisa finished lamely.

Indicating the door, Jackson motioned for Lisa to follow him. Once in the corridor, he led her to his office. "We can talk freely here," he said with a wan smile.

"OK. So, just what exactly did you call me for? I'm not a virologist, for God's sake. I'm an anthropologist."

"You're going to think I'm crazy but this virus is special ... very special."

"How do you mean?"

"It's intelligent."

Lisa froze, staring at him. "What the hell do you mean 'intelligent?' It's a virus."

"Lisa, it's more than a virus. Its basic structure has been merged with porcine DNA. They wanted to create a virus that could be trained to attack on command. Pigs are the closest animals to humans in terms of physiology and are both intelligent and highly trainable."

"Impossible!" Lisa blurted out. After a moment, however, she realized No, not impossible – just stupid and totally irresponsible. "That still doesn't explain why you've asked for my help. This is totally outside of anything I've ever been associated with."

Jackson was obviously reluctant to proceed. Lisa could see him struggling to find the right words. Finally, with a sigh of resignation, he said, "We need you to help us understand their demands."

Lisa gave a confused look. "What demands? Whose demands?"

"The viruses. The tape you saw was only the first stage of the infection. The 'thousand knives' was literal. It takes over every cell of its victim. It forms some kind of a hive mentality and then seems to be able to access the host's abilities. It communicates."

"Dear God in Heaven!" Lisa felt as if she'd been hit in the stomach as the words were forced from her.

"Don't be fooled. God had nothing to do with this. It was us playing God! For all its seeming human qualities, this is as alien as if it had stepped off a flying saucer ... and that's why we need someone with your qualifications. We need to understand this thing – part animal, part human, part ..." Jackson didn't finish the sentence. He didn't have the words.

"Why don't we just destroy it? The facility, the people ..." she trailed off, shocked at herself for even uttering the words. It's the fear speaking, she rationalized.

"We've thought of that. The lab is hardened concrete and has levels that extend hundreds of feet into the earth. We don't have anything that will destroy it with 100 percent surety." He continued, "We don't know how much it can learn from the scientists that it has access to. Knowledge, combined with the natural cunning of the swine, could allow it to find a way out. Our immediate problem is containment."

"And if I can't? What if I can't figure this out, can't understand what it wants? What if its demands are something that we can't give in on?"

"It's obvious – it's the beginning of the A-pork-alypse."



Notes:
An Flash Fiction entry for ROUND 9 -- FLASH FICTION or LYRICS or ESSAY -- "Invalid Item
Line Prompt: "...like a thousand knives stabbing..."

Word Limit: (Flash Fiction & Essay) 300 -- 1,000 Words
Word Count: 625

Thank you for taking the time to read my story. Please, as long as you're here, leave a comment. Criticisms, thoughts, reactions (less groaning), yes – even words of encouragement or praise – are all equally welcome *Smile*

Ken
© Copyright 2010 🌕 HuntersMoon (huntersmoon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1646271-Strain