*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3172063
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(683)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 15, 2018 at 3:47pm
Re: Insomnia! How do you switch your brain off?
by Joylife
Insomnia! - I know many suggest the notebook by the bed idea but I'm wondering if it's a good thing for those who have trouble sleeping. If you are like me, once I jot something down or think of something that may work in my story my mind kicks in overdrive.
Every notebook entry can cost me more than 1 hour of sleep. I need to stop writing at night and completely forget about it, then I am able to fall asleep. My suggestion is just that, a suggestion that may or may not be of any value to you. Since you are using a notebook and thinking about dialogue and new ideas for plot twists you have a writing system that can be very beneficial and be more organized that those who wing it. Have you thought about using your notebook in the morning? Just one idea you can jot down while getting ready for work. You mentioned a two hour commute and of course if you are driving which I presume you are you don't need to be distracted so most likely the time in your car is off limits. But if you are able to come up with just one entry for your notebook on your way to work you can jot it down after your commute. Your lunch hour may be another time you can add another entry. After several entries look them over and decide were you want to go with your story line. If you are this type of writer you can start the notebook process again and this time make a loose outline. This too may be just a single entry done in bits and pieces, whether it's early morning, during your commute or your lunch hour. If possible and it may not be, shorten the time of your evening writing, which I know you don't want to do, and see if you are able to completely clear your mind of the process. I understand there is a certain amount of stress in knowing you only have two and half hours of weekday writing time. I tried using the notebook method and I couldn't sleep and if I fell asleep I would jerk awake and immediately my mind would fill with "what might work." These are just some thoughts and they may or may not work for you. Linda
MESSAGE THREAD
Insomnia! How do you switch your brain off? · 03-15-18 2:35pm
by Pepys
Re: Insomnia! How do you switch your brain off? · 03-15-18 2:49pm
by dogpack:saving 4 premium: DWG
*Star* Re: Insomnia! How do you switch your brain off? · 03-15-18 3:47pm
by Joylife
Re: Insomnia! How do you switch your brain off? · 03-15-18 4:01pm
by The StoryMaster
Re: Insomnia! How do you switch your brain off? · 03-17-18 6:22pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Insomnia! How do you switch your brain off? · 03-17-18 11:58pm
by edgework
Re: Insomnia! How do you switch your brain off? · 03-19-18 4:44pm
by Joylife

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://p15.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3172063